Re: Allowing professional players in brassbands

D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 6) I would very much like to hear a band of real pro. players, well
> rehearsed and directed, tackling serious repertoire, in competition
> with our best bands.  If they were so good it might just inspire us all
> to raise our standards.
>
> The fact that it hasn't happened may tell a different story...
>
> David
>
> David Lancaster
>
> -Senior Lecturer in Music
> -University College of Ripon and York St John
> -<d.lancaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> -tel: (01765) 602691 fax: (01765) 600516

David: Interesting comments on professional bands. The only two I know
of on this side of the pond are Hannaford Street Silver Band in Toronto
and the Brass Band of Battle Creek. IMHO, Hannaford would not compare
with the top UK contesting bands. Not enough rehearsals with any one
conductor to develop the required sense of oneness or to sort out the
balance problems inherent in the brass band instrumentation. Also too
conservative in their interpretations. I'm looking forward to hearing
them play in January with James Watson conducting. We'll see what he can
do with two rehearsals. Despite that, almost all their players except
the trombones who are too light and some of the tubas who are too heavy,
would be welcome in any brass band I have ever heard. The Brass Band Of
Battle Creek is much more flamboyant and would I think have a good
chaance in the contests. They are very technical and as dynamic as any
of the top bands.
The key elements it seems to me which makes the top contesting bands
interesting, other  than raw technical skill which becomes tedious after
a while, are the huge dynamic ranges, they really risk pp's and ppp's
which very few players ever do, the balance which makes ff's sound
marvellous and the sense of chamber music or oneness which they achieve.
All these only come from many hours of detailed rehearsal with one
conductor which is very difficult to achieve with pros.
Regards. Keep up the interesting posts.
Dave Buckley.