Re: Allowing professional players in brassbands

> 6) I would very much like to hear a band of real pro. players, well
> rehearsed and directed, tackling serious repertoire, in competition
> with our best bands.  If they were so good it might just inspire us all
> to raise our standards.
>
> The fact that it hasn't happened may tell a different story...

It almost did, and it was terrible!
In the early '80s I played in a totally professional brass group of London
players which attempted to play everything from the established symphonic brass
repertoire to jazz. In its two major concerts it played many major brass band
works. The players were principals from London orchestras, leading freelancers
and promising young newcomers to the profession (as I then was).
I had great hopes for it, but the brass band side of things just didn't work
(IMHO). Some of the problems I recall were as follows:

Money! Expense limited rehearsals per concert to 2. Imagine trying to put
together 4 or 5 unfamiliar major test-pieces in that time.

Trumpet players. Despite having many ex-brass banders the cornet section
sounded like a massive trumpet section...all using Vincent Bach MPs and playing
with a "one to a part" symphonic mentality.

Horn Players. Orchestral horn players using adapters to put their usual
mouthpieces into recently borrowed tenor horns!

Euphs baritones. Mostly trombonists!

"Team work". At times this group felt like a "lets see who can play the
loudest" contest, in contrast to the careful balance of our best competing
bands.

Style. What works in a symphony orchestra is not necessarily correct in all
situations. Even when playing well this group sounded cold and clinical. A
little tasteful vibrato works wonders!

The only inspiration for top bands would be in the area of sight-reading, which
was amazing!

--
Andy Callard
London