Soprano players

Alastair Wheeler wrote:
> Have you ever heard James Cooper play sop with Bournmouth?
> My vote for best soprano player... As loud as Crockford, but
> much nicer tone.  James has complained to Shilke that while
> he can get an F# and a G# his instrument seems to be missing
> a super G.  Go figure.....

Alastair, I take on board what you are saying about the sop player from
Bournemouth, and he probably is a good player as you say, but with respect
he isn't really a household name amongst bandsmen UK wide is he.  Can I
suggest that you now broaden your horizons, and start listening to the best
sop players, who I'm sure most people will agree play (and generally live)
north of Watford gap (i.e. Yorkshire & North West).  Anyone agree/disagree
?

Can I also suggest to everyone on the list that they submit a list of who
they consider to be the top 3 soprano players in the UK.  Should be
interesting.  My top 3 are as follows:

1st    Alan Wycherley    (JJB Sports)
2nd   Kevin Crockford    (Dyke)
3rd    Nigel Fielding    (Grimethorpe)

Its always difficult to leave out great players from such a list.  Even
though they aren't in my top 3, I think Craig Bennett (where are you now
Craig?), Pete Roberts (still Sellars but rumoured to be YBS soon) and Tracy
Redfearn (Fodens) deserve a mention.  I've excluded Martin Winter (Faireys)
from my list due to him being professional, and to give the others a chance
!!

I look forward to seeing your lists.

Martin Irwin,
Brighouse & Rastrick band.

Martin Irwin, Consultant, IS Integration Limited,
Preston Technology Management Centre, Marsh Lane, PRESTON, Lancs, PR1 8UD,
UK.
Tel: +44 (0)1772 885850, Mobile: +44 (0)410 258387, Fax: +44 (0)1772 558881
E-Mail: mirwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx