Re: Romanza

Asger,
I'm afraid I don't know anything about Alex English , but Henry Geehl
was born in London in 1881, and died in Beaconsfield in 1961. He was
an English composer, conductor and pianist. He studied piano with his
father and with Benno Schoenberger, but abandoned a career as a
soloist to concentrate on conducting and composition. From 1918 he
taught at Trinity College of Music, London, and he was also music
editor for Ashdown and Enoch. His particular interest as a composer
and arranger was in brass band music: he scored Elgar's Severn Suite
for that medium. In addition he wrote orchestral pieces, piano music
and songs, of which "For you alone" is said to have been the only
song Caruso performed in English.
[Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians]
Hope this is helpful to you, even though the dictionary doesn't
mention the piece you specifically asked for. If you hit a real dead
end I might be able to find out a little more about him although I'm
not too hopeful.
Dave Roberts,
(M.D., Pangbourne and District Silver Band)

> Can you please help me with information on the trombone solo "ROMANZA"
> written by Henry Geehl. The top line says "To Alex English", -- who
> is/was he. Please also fill me in on Henry Geehl.
>
> Asger Mikkonen
David Roberts
Royal Academy of Music Library
Marylebone Road