Re: Romanza

D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Date:	  Sun, 02 Nov 1997 20:35:21 +0100
> > From:	  Asger Mikkonen <mikkonen@xxxxxxxx>
> > To:	    brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject:       Romanza
>
> > Can you please help me with information on the trombone solo "ROMANZA"
> > written by Henry Geehl. The top line says "To Alex English", -- who
> > is/was he. Please also fill me in on Henry Geehl.
> >
> > Asger Mikkonen
> >
> Geehl was born in London 1881 and died in Beaconsfield (Bucks.) in
> 1961.  He was a pianist and conductor as well as composer and
> arranger and did much editorial work for English publishers.  In fact
> it was Geehl who scored Elgar's Severn Suite for brass band, in its original
> form.
>
> Most of his output was for band, his best work probably the
> Sinfonietta Pastorale which is seldom heard these days, but he also
> composed orchestral works, piano music and songs.  His song 'For You
> Alone' is allegedly the only song which Caruso ever performed in
> English.
>
> Alex English has a chip shop in Ripon but this may not be the same
> guy, since he's never heard of Henry Geehl.

Alex English was a trombone player with one of the prize bands maybe 40
years ago. When I played in Canada for a former Fairey Euph player, Wilf
Mountain, he was always after our bones for a certain sound which we did
not like (the sound he wanted not that he was after us). We referred to
it as "the English Sound" so obviously we did not like the Alex English
sound we heard on record. Maybe someone will know which band it was.
Dave Buckley.