Re: Romanza

>> Date:	  Sun, 02 Nov 1997 20:35:21 +0100
>> From:	  Asger Mikkonen <mikkonen@xxxxxxxx>
>> To:	    brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject:       Romanza
>
>> Can you please help me with information on the trombone solo "ROMANZA"
>> written by Henry Geehl. The top line says "To Alex English", -- who
>> is/was he. Please also fill me in on Henry Geehl.
>>
>> Asger Mikkonen
>>
>Geehl was born in London 1881 and died in Beaconsfield (Bucks.) in
>1961.  He was a pianist and conductor as well as composer and
>arranger and did much editorial work for English publishers.  In fact
>it was Geehl who scored Elgar's Severn Suite for brass band, in its original
>form.
>
>Most of his output was for band, his best work probably the
>Sinfonietta Pastorale which is seldom heard these days, but he also
>composed orchestral works, piano music and songs.  His song 'For You
>Alone' is allegedly the only song which Caruso ever performed in
>English.
>
>Alex English has a chip shop in Ripon but this may not be the same
>guy, since he's never heard of Henry Geehl.
>
>I hope that some of this information is useful.
>
>David
>

>--

In 1969 (jeez, that long ago ??!!!) I performed "Romanza" at a church
service in Singapore, my understanding then was that Alex English was a
longstanding first seat (that's Irish!!) trombone player with one of the
top Brit bands at that time. I stand to be corrected !!!!

	Robin
	robens@xxxxxxxxxx
	Sailor, Golfer, Musician,
	-trombonists only use seven positions !