Re: Soprano players

On  3 Nov 97 at 17:01, Martin Irwin wrote:

snip >

> Can I also suggest to everyone on the list that they submit a list of who
> they consider to be the top 3 soprano players in the UK.  Should be
> interesting.  My top 3 are as follows:
>
> 1st    Alan Wycherley    (JJB Sports)
> 2nd   Kevin Crockford    (Dyke)
> 3rd    Nigel Fielding    (Grimethorpe)
>
> Its always difficult to leave out great players from such a list.  Even
> though they aren't in my top 3, I think Craig Bennett (where are you now
> Craig?), Pete Roberts (still Sellars but rumoured to be YBS soon) and Tracy
> Redfearn (Fodens) deserve a mention.  I've excluded Martin Winter (Faireys)
> from my list due to him being professional, and to give the others a chance
> !!
>
> I look forward to seeing your lists.

My top 5

1.  Tracy Redfern.  Okay she plays in my band but you have to hear
her regularly to realise just how good she is.  Technique/range is
incredible and her sound is second to none.  Her power might not be
in the 'Crockers' arena but she still rides over the cornet section
(quite a feat at Fodens)
2.  Craig Bennett.  A real classy player - much underrated
3.  Alan Wycherly.  A fantastically exciting player with that old
fashioned sop sound.
4.  Pete Roberts.
5.  Kevin Crockford.  There is something about his power playing that
makes you overlook his lack of a really quiet dynamic.

The above I think are ahead of the rest.  Nige Fielding would have
been in there 8-10 years ago but I think his sound has suffered at
Grimey.  Martin Irwin (if his sop playing is anywhere near his Bb
playing) is knocking on the door.  The Sop player at Tredegar will be
star and the fella who played at Sunlife before there demise was also
a fine player.  What about Steve Stewart (ex Desford) and Ian
Dickman, they would both have been in my top 5 if still playing
regularly.

Regards,

Phil Green
Solo EEb Bass
Fodens (Courtois) Band.

"I'm not a musician, merely an instrumentalist "