Re: Soprano players

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Paul Rothery wrote:

> >> much nicer tone.  James has complained to Shilke that while
> >> he can get an F# and a G# his instrument seems to be missing
> >> a super G.  Go figure.....
>
> I know Crockford can play some high notes as well but funnily enough I don't
> rate a player on just how high he can get. Mind you I can sympathize about
> the super G. It's missing from my tenor horn as well. Or maybe it's me.

Hm.  But if James owns a good top F, think how secure the Bs and Cs he
needs to play regularly are.  After all, high notes are the soprano's job,
he can't escape from them, whereas any high notes needing horn tone colour
can be given to the flugel, etc.
But high notes have their place - I'd love to hear Bournmouth play the
essence of time, just to hear the D on the last note.  Anyone with the new
Dyke Peter Graham CD can hear how Kevin Crockford manages it....
(even though he comes in late, it's almost the right length :)

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone			   Fundamental Brass