Re: Soprano players

Martin,

I agree that the North possesses the sop players who receive the most
exposure through major contests and recordings but to say the best are
in the North is a bit of a sweeping statement !!

I think the soprano cornet is an exceptionally difficult instrument to
play WELL. It requires not only control but power, and the parts being
written these days require the same dexterity as solo cornet players.

But how do you measure the best from the rest ?? Some (as we have seen)
like the Crockford/Fielding style, which can sound superb. Others prefer
a more restrained approach. However, I believe that the best have the
flexibility to do both well, and lets face it, not many do.

When you start comparing people by the highest note they can play you
start getting onto dangerous ground. It's the ability to control the
instrument and make beautiful music that counts. Whilst the possession
of a good upper register aids the command of the register used in the
current repertoire this does not make the player. As an example, the sop
solo in Salamander caused many of the players at the Open problems
because it used the opposite end of the range!!

So, by current reckoning - and based on those I have heard recently - I
particularly admire Allan Wycherley and Craig Bennett (where are you now
Craig? ) and whilst I have not been overly impressed by the live concert
and contest performances I have heard by Nigel Fielding and Kevin
Crockford, their respective contributions to the Wagner and Planets
recordings was, IMHO, superb.

Anyway, that's my tuppence worth. Oh, and by the way Alastair, next time
you see James (no relation), let him know that my Schilke sop does have
a G above high C (but there again I can play a super C on my 1930 Besson
Prototype Bb cornet so what does that prove ??!!)

All the best.

David Cooper
Soprano, KM Gillingham Band