Re: Cleethorpes and beyond...

In article <13F51813EA6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,  writes
>Dave White (hello Dave!) wrote:
>
>> >...from the North East Lincolnshire Brass Band Championships "Class A"
>> >held on Sunday afternoon in the Winter Gardens, sunny Cleethorpes...
>What is the format of this contest?  From these results it would seem
>that there isn't an overall winner.  Is the entertainment adjudicator
>in the open, or is 'entertainment' simply a matter of choosing the right
>pieces at this event?

The "A" category was closed musical adjudication, open entertainment. I
don't know if they judged an overall winner - I suspect not. There were
seperate prizes for the two parts of the judging. Entertainment top
prize was 50 pounds, musical prizes was 300 pounds.

>How long do bands play for?  What are the sections?  Are there set
>elements (a march, a hymn)???

22-27 minutes, if I remember correctly. The program wrongly stated that
bands in "A" had to play a contest march. They didn't. That was the "B"
bands. The program also incorrectly stated that there was a stand-up
solo prize. There was however a prize for the best trombone section
which went to Rothwell.

>On a different note, it would be great to know what music bands chose
>to play at events such as this, and at own choice contests too.   It
>might be that bands (especially bands in other parts of the world)
>are entertaining their audiences - and winning contests - with
>different repertoire.
>
>Would contributors to the list be prepared to give a little more
>information?

Our program consisted of:

The Australasian (we were told we had to play a contest march !)
Gymnopodie No.1 by Satie (Frank Renton arrangement)
Londonderry Air (Iveson arrangement, trombone solo)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Ray Farr arrangement)
Galaxies (Carl Davies / Ray Farr)

One thing to note about this venue is that sound carried extremely well.
For instance, the conductor of Nottingham City Transport bellowing at
his solo cornet players to get in tune was quite amusing. I was sat with
my wife next to the adjuicator's box, and I heard it plainly - I suspect
Garry Cutt (in the box) heard it equally as well ! It was also
interesting to listen to the conductors view of how some passages should
be played compared with how various sections of the band were handling
them!

I enjoyed it anyway, and that's what it's all about isn't it?
Cleethorpes isn't too far away from where we live (about 1+1/2 hours
drive) and it makes a change from Bradford.

I think we're playing at Malton (?) next. It's all new to me 'cos I've
only been with Chapeltown just less than a year, after far too many
years out of contesting.
--
David Morris
email: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx