Re: Romanza

Alex English has a chip shop in Ripon but this may not be the same
> guy, since he's never heard of Henry Geehl.

Alex English was a trombone player with one of the prize bands maybe 40
years ago. When I played in Canada for a former Fairy Euph player, Wilf
Mountain, he was always after our bones for a certain sound which we did
not like (the sound he wanted not that he was after us). We referred to
it as "the English Sound" so obviously we did not like the Alex English
sound we heard on record. Maybe someone will know which band it was.

Dave Buckley.

A little history about Alex English, for the young brass plebes;)
Alex English was an Irish Man played with Agnus Street Templemore band,
came over to England to
audition for the CWS Manchester band, He was a very good Euphonium player
some of the brass men in his time said he was a better euph player than a
trombonist.
At the time their were to good euph players in the Co-o-p Band Dennis
Holmes and Russell Buckley
and the tombone section was full, he use to go round the North playing in
slow melody contest on euph, and is specialty was a melody called Simple
Avue by Ord Hume.
He finished up playing 2nd Trombone for Fodens, and was a member of Men of
Brass, the last time we herd of him , he was playing with Royal Doulton
band with Teddy Grey he played in the midland Area contest and they won on
Eric Ball. Tournament for Brass.
the solo that was dedicated to him by Henry Geehl,  Romanza is a beautiful
solo, can be played on trombone or euph, and it was thought that Henry
Geehl herd Alex play euph and trombone many times and was so impress with
his style of playing he dedicated the solo to him.
there is a recording of Romanza played very tastefully by John Maines
trombone, with the Fairy band under Walter Hargreves, also a recording by
euphonium John Mcrea and the Ever Ready Band

	  Henry Geehl F.T.C.L. Dr. Phil.( Bonn University )Appeared in
public as a solo pianist from the age of eight, originally intended to
adopt the career of concert pianist and studied in London, later gained a
scholarship to Vienna, connected with the brass band movement both as a
composer and adjudicator since 1923 works for brass band Oliver Cromwell,
On the Cornish Coast, Sinfonietta Pastorale, In Tudor Days and Festival
Overture, written much orchestral, instrumental, paino and vocal music, was
Professor of Pianoforte, Composition,Orchestration, Brass and Military Band
Scoring. Examiner and Lecturer at Trinity Collage, London In most of Henry
Geehl's works he wrote some triffic eb and Bb bass parts.