Band Quiz

(This is a light hearted posting - please note)

Last night our band sent a team to the City of Birmingham band's quiz
night and I have come to a psychological conclusion about brass band
players.  They will ALWAYS question the decision...not just at contests.
Listen to this for a miscarriage of justice.  First of all, the winning
team had 6 players, when the rules clearly stipulated there should be no
more than four.  I mean, fair enough when they come 7th or something,
but when they WIN!  Well!  Even the prize was 4 cinema tickets!  THEN
(perhaps the golf experts can help us here) - the question was 'What do
the ancient rules stipulate about the venue for the British Open golf
championship?'  We answered 'It must be played on a links course'  which
is a course on the coast.  He gave the answer that is must be in sight
or sound of the sea and wouldn't accept our answer!  There was uproar
(in our team) and rightly so.  Well anyway, in the end, we came joint
2nd, lost the tiebreaker and came 3rd.  BUT, if he had accepted our
golfing answer, we would have been a point ahead of the team we tied
with, and therefore finished 2nd, and if he had disqualified the team of
6 we would have won!

It hit me in the car on the way home when a friend of mine (also our 2nd
euph Steve Parsons) kept saying over and over 'We should have won
tonight.  We should have won tonight.'  How many times have I heard that
one before in a slightly different brass banding situation?  There were
a few other brass band list members at the quiz - Phil and Maureen from
Fodens, Mike and Dave from Stourport and Darryl from City of Birmingham.
I'm sure they can appreciate the sense of injustice we all feel at the
present time (despite the fact we thrashed them all)  :)

Thanks for listening,
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.