Re: Soprano players

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, David W. Buckley wrote:

> Richard should have his own bass trombone society which would share
> lists with the soprano society.
>  In my band the sop always had the option to play an octave up and the
> bass trom to play an octave down. Made for interesting sounds in Sunday

A nice point - you need taste to know when to do that (as does the 2nd
BBb bass)  Hang on, tasteful bass trombone playing?

I tend to put the octaves in quite often on 'yellow music' ie parts
written for G bass, also in marches the bass solo tends to go down.  The
older music often implies the extra notes, eg when trombone octaves close
up because a part would go below Db.

Of course in modern music the larger ranges of modern players are taken
into consideration and it is normally safe to assume the composer knows
his job.  Ocasionally I'll put in low notes (more in the easier pieces)
but if I do I check to see how the chord is covered without me.

To be fair, I let the conductor have right of veto (!) but since older
music is often in short score he doesn't always notice.

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone			   Fundamental Brass