SA bands in Australia

Having followed the discussion of Salvation Army bands I would like to add
a comment from Sydney. From time-to-time the Sydney Citadel Band puts on a
concert, sometimes with one or other of the A-grade Sydney Brass Bands.
Their music is always excellent, thank goodness they don't contest! They
include a little religious presentation in their concerts; this is usually
expected and does not offend the non-religious persons in the audience, as
far as I can judge.

 I am definitely not a "Salvo", but I appreciate their enthusiasm, not only
in band music but also in their work around the streets of Sydney, in fact
when anyone needs help.

 A few years back they combined with massed bands in a concert after the
Nationals in Sydney. In an amazing finale, the Citadel Band players spread
out through the audience, lining the walkways of the Hall, while the massed
band played on stage. Their MD (Ron Prussing, also plays trombone with
Sydney Symphony Orchestra) conducted a performance of "Procession to the
Minster" which blew everyone in the Hall away (including players!).

 Apart from their work in the Sydney community, the "Salvos" have kept
Brass Band music alive in Australia, as "concert" configurations have taken
over most school and community bands. Without their continuing the
tradition over the 1960s and 1970s, there would probably have been no brass
bands in Sydney at all by now. Good luck to them!

Phil Anderton

Philip Anderton			Phone: +61 2 9316 8301
Warringah Concert Brass
Sydney, Australia

Web: http://www.optom.unsw.edu.au/public/other/wcb.htm
Email: P.Anderton@xxxxxxxxxxx