Re: Tips on conducting

At 12:43 10/11/97 -0000, you wrote:
>I've recently been asked to conduct a band, but have never done it before.
>I've got a good ear and could probably spot things going wrong and be able
>to explain how to correct them, but all the other stuff I'm not sure about
>(I've never held a baton in my life!!).  Can anyone give me some quick tips
>on conducting, the basics, etc.
>
>Thanks,
>Martin Irwin.

I have to admit to being in a similar boat to you, I currently take a small
junior band, I enjoy it and can hadle it quite well. However, when I take
the main band I find that I have to concentrate so hard on conductiong more
complex things that any constructive critisism goes out of the window.

I guess my best advice would be do what I cannot do (as I only stand in at a
moments notice) practice really hard so your conducting requires very little
thought and you can concentrate on what you think you can do well, sorting
out what is going wrong!

Don't worry about a baton it is just a clear accurate extension of you
fingertip......

Dave White
PC/Ass Conductor Beverley Brass