Re: Tips on conducting

At 12:43 10/11/97 -0000, Martin Irwin wrote:

>I've recently been asked to conduct a band, but have never done it before.
>I've got a good ear and could probably spot things going wrong and be able
>to explain how to correct them, but all the other stuff I'm not sure about
>(I've never held a baton in my life!!).  Can anyone give me some quick tips
>on conducting, the basics, etc.

Only one comment ....... after holding a sop cornet for so long, you might
initiallty find that a baton weighs less but that your arms ache more as
each rehearsal proceeds (that's what our current MD says anyway ....... and
HE's a sop/Bb player too!!)

My quick tip ....... go on a course ...... there is a National Assoc. of BB
Conductors forum which meet periodically in several areas of the country.
I'm sure Scotland and/or Yorkshire must be included.  Let me know if you
need any help tracing a contact for this.

Oh ...... one more thing ...... GOOD LUCK!!

Angela Tregaskes
.
Angela Tregaskes
<angela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>