Re: Band Quiz

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Morgan <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 November 1997 09:54
Subject: Band Quiz

>(This is a light hearted posting - please note)
>
>Last night our band sent a team to the City of Birmingham band's quiz
>night and I have come to a psychological conclusion about brass band
>players.  They will ALWAYS question the decision...not just at contests.
>Listen to this for a miscarriage of justice.  First of all, the winning
>team had 6 players, when the rules clearly stipulated there should be no
>more than four.  I mean, fair enough when they come 7th or something,
>but when they WIN!  Well!  Even the prize was 4 cinema tickets!  THEN
>(perhaps the golf experts can help us here) - the question was 'What do
>the ancient rules stipulate about the venue for the British Open golf
>championship?'  We answered 'It must be played on a links course'  which
>is a course on the coast.  He gave the answer that is must be in sight
>or sound of the sea and wouldn't accept our answer!  There was uproar
>(in our team) and rightly so.  Well anyway, in the end, we came joint
>2nd, lost the tiebreaker and came 3rd.  BUT, if he had accepted our
>golfing answer, we would have been a point ahead of the team we tied
>with, and therefore finished 2nd, and if he had disqualified the team of
>6 we would have won!

Must admit I didn't notice the six player team, and your golf answer seemed
perfectly convincing. I s'pose that's banding for you!

>It hit me in the car on the way home when a friend of mine (also our 2nd
>euph Steve Parsons) kept saying over and over 'We should have won
>tonight.  We should have won tonight.'  How many times have I heard that
>one before in a slightly different brass banding situation?  There were
>a few other brass band list members at the quiz - Phil and Maureen from
>Fodens, Mike and Dave from Stourport and Darryl from City of Birmingham.
>I'm sure they can appreciate the sense of injustice we all feel at the
>present time (despite the fact we thrashed them all)  :)
>
>Thanks for listening,
>--
>Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.

Unfortunately most members of our team were probably too far gone by the end
of the contest (oops - quiz) to have been able to put together a coherent
objection had we felt it necessary ;-). I also forgot to make a note of the
final results/scores other than that the Stourport Sausage Sandwich Stuffers
came fifth (about on par for us) and our other team came last :-( Anyone
able to oblige?

Thanks to the Birmingham folks for organising a good evening. See you at the
next one.

Dave Deakin

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a big
television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disk players and
electrical tin openers...
I chose not to chose life. I chose something else... Stourport-On-Severn
Brass Band!