Re: Test Piece

I'm not an Aussie but I can weigh in on this from a North American
perspective.
  A few years ago NABBA decided that having every band in a class
play the same test piece was too boring for the audience (despite
the fact that we rarely have more than 5-6 bands in a section, and
that the test piece is just one part of a 30 minute program, the rest
of which is "own choice"). So they decided to allow bands to choose
from a short-list of (I believe) 3 test pieces.
  I think this lasted about two years, and went down to exactly the
argument made in the original posting of this thread -- no "equal"
way to judge the bands. So now we are back to a required test piece.

Cheers,
Martin D. Jenkins	      mjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Music Library Coordinator/     PH: (937) 775-4983
   Humanities Team Leader      FAX: (937) 775-3786
Wright State University
3640 Col. Glenn Highway
Dayton OH 45435

  "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got