Re: Test Piece NSW

Phil, you ask:

>Are there any members of the NSW Band Association Committee on the list?

Yes. I'm here

>Assuming it is replaced with only a hymn and "Own Choice" test, I think
>this is a bad move. There is no alternative to comparing the technical work
>and expression of each band playing the same piece. While this might not be
>as much "entertainment" for regular audiences, it is traditional and what
>we enthusiasts expect and enjoy in a brass band contest.

I'm glad that you think you speak on behalf of the all band "enthusiasts" -
after all have I seen you make representation to the Association - and is
not a member of your band (Mr John S.) a committee member himself who may
have voted on this?
BTW - what is a "regular audience"? (Make mine a large one with a side of
fries!!)

>If the Association wishes to make the Championship more attractive to a
>general audience they should spend a little money and advertise the "Own
>Choice" segment as a concert in the Sydney Morning Herald Metro Section for
>a few weeks beforehand. I suspect the reason for poor attendances by
>members of the public is simply a matter of there being little or no
>publicity prior to the contest.

If your band representative had been present at the Association AGM he/she
would have been told by the outgoing president exactly why the decision was
made. As a matter of fact the Association may not only want to make the
contest "more attractive to the general audience" but may wish to actually
increase the number of entries in the contest as well. They might even have
other reasons for this decision - not just simplyfied into more audience appeal.

>Had I the opportunity, I would vote for the status quo (hymn, set test, own
>choice test).

You do! Get on the Association Baord. Is this not what a band rep on the
board is capable of doing (voting)?

>However the organisers should present the "set test" and "own
>choice" segments at distincly different times (as they do now), with MUCH
>better publicity for the "own choice" segment as a concert by a number of
>the best bands in Sydney.

How long ago was it when we had "entertaining" contests with 30 minutes of
entertaining music and no test piece.

>I looked for, and found absolutely no publicity for this year's contest in
>September.

Status quo being maintained (!!)

>Surprising, given that "Brassed-Off" has done so well here in theatres.

A great film.......seen it twice now

I could rave on all night about this issue but I won't - Phil, check with
John S what was discussed at that meeting where the motion was put through
and passed. Suffice to say that I was not present at that Board meeting due
to work commitments and see what I missed! As you are no doubt aware a
motion to increase the registration fee was also passed at this meeting.
Check the minutes to see who comprises the Board that makes these decisions
and if you're not happy put some pressure on your band rep (Board members
too) to do something about it. If there were any on the Board brave enough
to vote against such a motion then they may be listed in past minutes (Check
out "Music Stand").

Any specific questions, Phil, you may want to contact me direct.

DISCLAIMER: The above opinions are mine and may not reflect in any way the
opinions or decisions or discussions of the Board of the Band Association of NSW

Mark Strykowski
MD Holroyd City
Board Member
Band Assocation NSW