WOW!

I have just received Steven Mead's THE WORLD OF EUPHONIUM, VOLUME III.

While most of the works on it are new to me, there is one that is quite
familiar.  Ponchielli's CONCERTO PER FLICORNOBASSO is performed in the
piano reduction which I made for TUBA Press.  Having performances of this
work already by Michael Colburn and Sverre Olsrud, this latest version by
Steven is a heartening addition to the pool of interpretations which will
lead all of us to appreciate and find the really excellent music which
Ponchielli has written for us.

I have also heard (privately) excellent performances of this work by Brian
Bowman and David Werden.  Each of these artists provides a peak into the
possibilities which this work provides.

The occasion of Steven calling me is his anticipated performance of the
brass band transcription with the Fairey's (Courtois) Band under James
Gourlay.  Brian Bowman premiered this with the Brass Band of Columbus under
Paul Droste in 1996.  Having heard Gourlay as a soloist, I really look
forward to his interpretation of the piece with Steven.

BTW, the piano reduction which I made is designed to be "pianistic."  As a
result (e.g., Olsrud's performance), I have heard that accomplished
pianists would like a more challenging version.   The MARC REIFFT edition
is just that, so I doubt that I will prepare a more challenging version in
the near future.

One final note, I wish to re-emphasize that the PHRASING marks in my
edition are original.  Ponchielli wrote for a performer who was known to
him and who knew him.  As a result, I chose to edit the articulations based
on Ponchielli's models.  He tended to supply these in only one part or
occurence of a pattern.

Henry Howey
Professor of Music
Sam Houston State University