Re: NOT COLLIERY, THE CORY BAND

>I do hope you will forgive my poor mistake, and give me some
>information about The Cory Band again.

Cory Workmens Silver Band, now called Cory Band Founded in Ton Pentre In
1884 as the Ton Temperance band,  Ton is a small villiage near Pentre in
the Rhondda Valley. South Wales.
In 1895 the band was engaged to play at the opening of the local Gelli
Library (destroyed by enemy action in the late war) the opening ceremony
was performed by the late Sir Clifford J. Cory the Chairman of the Cory
Brothers Coal Company and was so pleased with the band that he offered on
behalf of his Company to take them over, provide financial assistance and
find suitable employment for a first-class conductor.
The band thus adopted its present name Mr Ambler of Black Dyke was
appointed bandmaster
then came John Baily, followed by J.G. Dobbing under him the band attained
Championship Status and won 79 first prizes at contest. in 1940 Reg Little
was appointed conductor and won the Welsh Championship1941-3-5.  IN 1946
Walter Hargreaves became their M.D. between 1948 and 1950 the band began to
achieve true championship status and gained runners up prizes at both the
National and British Open. The Cory Brothers Workmen's Band shortened its
name to Cory Band in 1971 when the mine closed.
 in 1970 Major H Arthur Kenny became its M.D and the band moved into its
winning streak National Mineworkers Championship 1970-1-2-4, and reaching
historical peak when it became the first Welsh band to win a National Title
in 1974 playing Malcolm Arnolds Fantasy for Brass Band. also Granada Band
of the year in 1971. they won their fist Hat Trick of wins in 1982 on
Wilfred Heaton Contest Music. 1983 Joseph Horovitz Ballet for Band. 1984
Edward Gregson Dances and Arias.
Runners up in the Welsh Areain 1997 and 6th place in this years National
Final conducted by Jeremy Wise.

Yours Evan Howells