Re: Black Dyke Recording - Peter Graham

On 21 Nov 97 at 10:00, Matthew Taylor +44 116 256156 wrote:

> Hello All
>
> As all of the list members in the UK should know the Area test piece
> for the Championship Section next March is Montage by Peter Graham
> and as an eager Solo Horn player for a newly promoted band ( Ratby
> Cooperative ) I have purchased a recording of the piece, the
> recording bought was on the Peter Graham CD, played by Black Dyke
> and published by Doyen.
>
> I have a few questions about the piece and the CD in general for
> anybody on the list who actually performed for the recording.
>  - Les, if you're still on the list I know you play for 'Dyke, but
>  due to
> the lack of a list of band personnel I don't know if you played on
> the CD.
>
> Question 1,
> Was Montage a different version to the one available now?
>
> After two listens to the piece there are several noticeable
> differences in the performance to the piece that we have seen, and
> the performance by Fodens on the Highlights of the Masters Contest
> CD.

Hopefully the version used at the contest will be the same as that
used at the Masters in 1994 or quite a number of bands will have to
fork out for a new set.
I have two possible solutions.
1.  Dyke recorded a 'manuscript' version of Montage with differences.
 BBS recorded ' A new Jerusalem' from manuscript before it was used
at the nationals and in places the piece is unrecognisable, with
extra passages all over the place.
2.  Dyke couldn't play the proper notes/runs - too hard - and so they
just played anything.

I think that option 1 is definately more likely, but you never know
!!

(only joking Les and Dyke fans world-wide)

Mischievously,

Phil Green.
Solo EEb Bass
Fodens (Courtois) Band.

"I'm not a musician - just an instrumentalist"