Re: What's the British opinion of American bands?

Matt,

During past tours of USA/Canada with the Young Ambassadors band of Great
Britain, I have taken part in joint concerts with the Weston Silver Band
from the Toronto area.  Although they were not of the standard of the
better UK bands, they were pretty good, played a good programme, and we all
enjoyed the concerts (and their sop player could blow!!).

Two things that stuck in my mind from our time with the Weston band was the
number of Brits who had gone to live over there and played in the band, and
that they raved about Dyke and even wore the sweatshirts to arrive at the
concert!!

Cheers,
Martin.

----------
> From: Matt LaFontaine <mattl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: What's the British opinion of American bands?
> Date: 23 November 1997 21:57
>
> Just out of curiosity, what is the opinion of the British (and
Australian,
> New Zealander, etc...) bandsmen on the sound of the USA's top bands?
>
> I know many over here hold bands like Dyke, Grimethorpe, et.al in a sort
of
> reverance. As for American bands, I feel the Chicago Staff Band, Brass
Band