Re: What's the British opinion of American bands?

Martin Irwin wrote:

> Matt,
>
> During past tours of USA/Canada with the Young Ambassadors band of Great
> Britain, I have taken part in joint concerts with the Weston Silver Band
> from the Toronto area.  Although they were not of the standard of the
> better UK bands, they were pretty good, played a good programme, and we all
> enjoyed the concerts (and their sop player could blow!!).

Martin: Thanks for your comments about Weston. Please do not encourage
our sop player, Graham Young. He does not need any encouragement to
blow. (Graham, that is a joke???) Sorry I missed this year's program
with you. I was umpiring tennis in Brandon, Manitoba - another hobby.
Played with Richard Batten in the spring with Woods Brass at the tattoo
in Hamilton. He's a great bass trom who can balance our sop with no
trouble.
Re North American bands versus UK bands, IMNSHO the onlY band on this
side of the pond which can come close to the top contesting bands is the
Brass Band of Battle Creek who, of course are all pros. No one else
including all the ones mentioned in the the letter from Matt LaFontaine
- all of whom I have heard - can come close. I was at the Hardraw Scar
Contest this September courtesy of David Lancaster and the bands
mentioned would fit right in that calibre. The best amateur band right
now may be Bram Gregson's recently formed Intrada Brass based in
Southern Ontario. The Nabba Bands have about 4 less volume degrees than
the top bands, are not as technically skilled and, dare I say, are
workmanlike rather than inspired in their interpretations, including my
own.
Regards, Dave Buckley.
Principal Trombone, Weston Silver Band
Principal Trombone and Associate Conductor, Burlinton Concert Band
Occasional trombone fill-in, Symphony Hamilton