Man-style Test-Piece-age.

Sorry, this is quite a long message, but it contains some very
interesting things (and stuff) towards the end (if you like brass band
test-pieces).

As an offshoot of the recent discussion about the best three performances
ever, I'd be interested to hear what the members of the list think are
the best test-pieces (both to play and to listen to).

>From my own (limited) experience, one of my favourite test-pieces to listen
to is
Eric Ball's "Festival Music" (hence my last message), but it's much more
fun (at least for 2nd cornet players) to play something like Wilby's
"Pagannini Variations".

I was speaking to Alastair Wheeler earlier, and he gets very carried away
(to the point of physically shaking - even without beer!) when he hears
Wilby's "Revelation". We heard it performed by Black Dyke in London last
year, and he almost had a fit.

Admittedly, it is a very exciting piece to listen to, and it does contain
very musical passages (combined with lots of 'tazzage' towards the end).
However, I feel that there's a bit too much 'test' and not enough 'piece' in
it: too many random low, high and wiggly notes that just aren't very
musical. In particular, pedal Cs and Gs (I think) for cornets are just silly.
They perhaps test the technical skills of a band, but not necessarily the
musical skills.

My favourite test-pieces vary according to what sort of mood I'm in,
what time of day it is, when I last sacrificed a goat, etc. To
listen to, I would rank "Isaiah 40" (R. Redhead), "On Alderley Edge" (P.
Graham) and "Montage" (P. Graham) as three of the best.

I can't really comment on which pieces are the best ones to play because
I have only played a handful of championship section test-pieces. Having
said that, I really enjoy playing "The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" (D.
Bourgeois) - it may be a bit insincere as a piece of music, but it has
some very tuneful moments, some wibbly finger wobble-age and lots of 'tazz'.

It will be interesting to hear what musicians from different bands (and,
indeed, different sections) have to say.

Cameron Mabon
Cornet, City of Oxford Band, Fundamental Brass
*
*
P.S. It's a shame that only brass banders are aware of
test-pieces. I sent an email to classic FM recently DEMANDING that they
broadcast some man-style test-piece tazzage. They didn't write back.
Perhaps they thought I was mad (which, of course, I am - especially on
Tuesdays).