Re: What's the British opinion of American bands?

----------
> From: David W. Buckley <davebuckley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: What's the British opinion of American bands?
> Date: November 24, 1997 7:46 PM
>
> Martin Irwin wrote:
> >
> > Matt,
> >
> > During past tours of USA/Canada with the Young Ambassadors band of
Great
> > Britain, I have taken part in joint concerts with the Weston Silver
Band
> > from the Toronto area.  Although they were not of the standard of the
> > better UK bands, they were pretty good, played a good programme, and we
all
> > enjoyed the concerts (and their sop player could blow!!).

> Martin: Thanks for your comments about Weston. Please do not encourage
> our sop player, Graham Young. He does not need any encouragement to
> blow. (Graham, that is a joke???)

The main problem North American bands have is they
have never heard one of the British bands
live.

The first time that The Young Ambassadors of Great Britain
played here was a revelation in sound. Shows you what
banger and mash and a good ale can produce.
Sitting beside Nigel Fielding (the core of his sound
has an intensity and vibrancy that amazed me)was
a real ear opener.

This year they played Procession to the Minster
at the end of long programm and just blew the audience away.
The trombones were magnificent. They level of sound was
awesome to say the least.

The reason a sop player nails a top c to the back wall
is the same reason you climb everest...it's there.

Sorry I missed this year's program