Re: Black Dyke Recording - Peter Graham -Reply

----------
> From: Edy Van Asch <EVanAsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Black Dyke Recording - Peter Graham -Reply
> If I hear a former Dyke recording like e.g. King of Brass, Triple
champions
> (with Connotations, Vivat Regina,Diadem of gold,...) and some others
which date
> from the early eighties (yes, long ago) it's ten times better than what
they are
> doing now.
>
> Is Dyke never looking back and ask themselves what's going wrong?
> Or are they convinced it's not and just different?
> I doubt if Jim Watson is such a BRILLIANT conductor as some people on the
list
> put forward some weeks ago. I'm maybe wrong, but I don't think he really
is. He
> will be good but brilliant, and what about their management??
> those titles were won. Some players, former to those bands and some still
> playing with them, are still ashamed after all those years.

Eddy

The reason for the Dyke sound of the eighties was the players around the
stand. Not players who could just blow loud but players who produced
quality sound in all dynamics - encouraged by the man in the middle (Peter
Parkes and toward the end Dave King)  I'm sure you know that the reason
they don't play the same is that the heart of the band left shortly after
James Watson arrived- a sad time for Dyke and a great one for Fairey's as
the best players went oner there.  Peter Parkes has said that the Fairey
band of 93 is the best band he has ever conducted  (better than Dyke of the
mid-eighties).

Sure Dyke's sound has changed but don't forget the miraculous achievement
of James Watson to win the open twice and National twice with a band that
was on its knees not long before.

He may not be brilliant in your eyes but he sure knows how to win - and
thats why we go!

Nige Beasley