THE BIG SOUND! -Reply

My top tree on massive sound would be:

1. Fairey - Revelation, Open 1995 (miles in front,my biggest brassband
disappointment ever, how could the jury put them in 2nd place and why is Fairey
not recording it to prove them to be wrong !!!???)
2. Black Dyke - Variations on a bass theme,  Europeans Rotterdam 1991
3. Black Dyke - Contest Music, Europeans Nottingham 1986 I guess, also with
Phillip McCann holding the top C# in the 2nd part for about 10 seconds it must
have been. O dear, he already clinched the title for them in the half of the
piece.

Ot the other side, as impressive are the quite passages which do need controlled
sound too and made my hair standing equally:
This top 3 would be:
1. Black Dyke - end of In Memoriam RK on the nationals gala concert 1992. Tutti
Diminuendo to ppp so well balanced, together,... Brilliant
2. Desford - ppp in 2nd movement of Year of the Dragon in Europeans Cardiif
1985. I heard from Steven Mead who was playing with them those times, Howard
spend quite some rehursals just playing ppp the whole time. Their ppp has never
been matched since then.
3. Phillip McCann (Black Dyke) - continuous dimenuendo to pppp at the end of
Volcano, nationals 1980 (or 1981?). Almost 20 years later but I'll never forget
it.

More brilliant performances?

Edy Van Asch