Robert Simpson

Dear All

Can I use the list to pay tribute to composer Robert Simpson, who
died a couple of days ago.  He began his musical career as a trumpet
player and spent most of his working life for the BBC.

Simpson had lived in Co. Kerry, Ireland for the last decade or so, unable
to bear the effect of the Thatcher government on British cultural
life.  He had never fully recovered from a stroke in 1991, and had composed
little since then, but will be remembered for the marvellous succession
of works for band which he wrote in the 1970s and 80s: Energy, Volcano,
Variations on a Theme by Max Reger, The Four Temperaments and Vortex.
Each possesses a unique quality of craftsmanship and invention which few
contemporary composers achieve, and it is a great shame that we do not get
to hear this music as often as we should.

It is ironic that while band musicians rejected him for being too modern,
classical musicians found him somewhat conservative and outdated.
Perhaps now we might be able to accept the dissonance and rhythmic
energy of his music more easily.

David