Re: Robert Simpson

D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear All
>
> Can I use the list to pay tribute to composer Robert Simpson, who
> died a couple of days ago.  He began his musical career as a trumpet
> player and spent most of his working life for the BBC.
>
> Simpson had lived in Co. Kerry, Ireland for the last decade or so, unable
> to bear the effect of the Thatcher government on British cultural
> life.  He had never fully recovered from a stroke in 1991, and had composed
> little since then, but will be remembered for the marvellous succession
> of works for band which he wrote in the 1970s and 80s: Energy, Volcano,
> Variations on a Theme by Max Reger, The Four Temperaments and Vortex.
> Each possesses a unique quality of craftsmanship and invention which few
> contemporary composers achieve, and it is a great shame that we do not get
> to hear this music as often as we should.
>
> It is ironic that while band musicians rejected him for being too modern,
> classical musicians found him somewhat conservative and outdated.
> Perhaps now we might be able to accept the dissonance and rhythmic
> energy of his music more easily.
>
> David

Unfortunately we don't get to hear news like this quickly here in the
colonies, so thank heavens for email.

We have lost a giant in composers of band music, so let's not neglect
what little repertoire we have gained from him. How about contest
organisers using his music a little more often as test-pieces so they
don't get forgotten?

For those who are not familiar with them, check out his symphonies,
particularly the 9th (recorded by Bounemouth Symphony under Vernon
Handley) - massive stuff.

Cheers,
Adrian J. Raven