Re: What's the British opinion of American bands?

kraken wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Matt LaFontaine <mattl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: What's the British opinion of American bands?
> > Date: 23 November 1997 21:57
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, what is the opinion of the British (and
> Australian,
> > New Zealander, etc...) bandsmen on the sound of the USA's top bands?
> >
> > I know many over here hold bands like Dyke, Grimethorpe, et.al in a sort
> of
> > reverance. As for American bands, I feel the Chicago Staff Band, Brass
> Band
> > of Columbus, Brass Band of Battle Creek, Illinois Brass Band, and, of
> > course, Pershing's Own US Army Brass Band (possibly the best band this
> > side of the Atlantic) are of comparable quality of musicianship to some
> of
> > Britain's top amatuer bands.
> Matt
>
> I was fortunate enough to hear the Pershing band (brass as well as the
> military)
> when Iwas in the States in 1989. We were over there with Wingates and made
> a trip to Arlington to hear them in rehearsal.  They were fantastic,
> technique was brilliant, as you would expect.  The brass band did not
> achieve the same tone qualities as the best U K bands but I'm sure that in
> the last years they have made great progress.
>
> Nige Beasley

Sorry to belabour this butI must disagree with you Nige. There are no
bands on this side of the water except BBBC which should be on the same
stage as the top UK bands, including the US Army Band. Interestingly
enough that is not true in the UK where I have heard Enfield in concert
with Black Dyke and they did not seem out of place and since the only
comments about the ISB at RAH this year are about their spiritual
message, I can only assume that they did not seem out of place either,
Regards, Dave Buckley.