Re: Festival Music

Evan Howells wrote:
> Bill
> There is another recording of Festival Music on a LP. Pye Golden Guinea
> label NoGSGL 10488
> By the British Open Champions for 1971 Yorkshire Imperial Metels.
conducted
> by Trevor Walmsley
> a splendid recording, one of the adjudicators on that day was Eric Ball
and
> said of the performance
> " one cannot fault this playing, there has been inspiration for you
today,
> thank you all " the panel of judges then awarded 197pts which according
> the British Open Management was the highest number op points ever awarded
> in the British Open. also on the recording is one of the finest display
of
> cornet playing by Graham Walker who was Champion Soloist of Great Britain
> playing Rossini Una Poco Fa arrange by Fred Muscroft.

Evan,

I have the LP you mention, with Yorkshire Imps playing Festival Music, and
it is a great performance, as is the whole of the LP.  And the playing by
Graham Walker of Una Voce Poco Fa is superb, there aren't many around today
who could play it like he did in 1971.  Just listen to it, you will know
what I mean.  If I remember correctly, it was Graham on top man, a young
Ian Craddock on solo euph and Roy Roe on sop (I think).

Considering that in 1971 they wouldn't have had the digital editing
techniques that we use on recordings these days (allowing you to replay and
edit virtually every bar!!), it is an LP well worth a listen if you can get
hold of it.

Martin Irwin.