Re: Watch viruses

Edy van Asch wrote:

> Today I heard from IBM some brand new viruses have shown up.
> If anybody should receive an E-mail with subject 'JOIN THE CREW' or 'PENPAL
> GREETING', don't open it. If you do, it destroys everything on your hard disk.
> The last mail contains a virus called 'Trojan horse', the first has no name yet.
> The Trojan horse seems to mail itself to all addresses it can find in your
> post-offices.
>
> No solution is found yet to destroy any of them, nor is any virus-scanner
> watching them.
> Please be careful, I am not joking.

Edy,

I'm sure you have everyone's interest at heart, but I'm sorry to tell
you that this message is a hoax. This hoax is as old as the Internet.
The original title we all had to watch for was 'GOOD TIMES'.  Then it
changed to 'PENPAL GREETING' - or 'PENAL GREETING' if someone ran it
through a spell-checker :). The latest incarnation is 'JOIN THE CREW',
but the idea is the same.

Your hard disk can not be accessed by reading an email message.

However, if you *run* an executable file *attached* to an email, you
could have problems.  Don't touch them with a bargepole, unless you
*know* they are OK.

For the full story on this and other email hoaxes, including the
'hundreds-of-dollars cookie recipe' and the 'dying kid who wants
postcards', etc., see

http://www.nonprofit.net/hoax/hoax.html

Tom Sheridan
Percussionist
Manchester, UK

tom.sheridan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Antispam: remove the numbers to get my email address