Re: New Insruments - Advice required

<< What can players on this mailing list recommend from their own experiences
of current new instruments. >>
I noted the request to mail directly to sender, but this topic is no doubt of
interest to the entire group, so I'll send it here.
I'm an American instrument dealer who plays in a brass band in NJ. Our
experience has been so variable that any advice must simply be opinion, no
matter from who. Let me tell you what my customers and band members say. ( in
score order)
The yamaha Eb soprano cornet seems to be the instrument of preference
The Bb cornet players lean toward Bach, although the sound may be too bright
for British tastes. A very good B&H seems to be the very best product,
although the quality within each model is variable.Yamaha is consistent, but
not as good as the best of Bach and B&H.
Flugel - Yamaha
Alto (tenor) Horn - B&H and Yamaha
Baritone - B&H and Yamaha
Trombone - Edwards and Bach
Euph - Yamaha (best in tune with one high C# trouble note), B&H and Wilson
Tubas - no pattern whatsoever
Keep in mind that these are not my recommendations, but the choices made by
others, reported to you. Also be mindful that it's an American market.
By my reckoning, if you were forced to go with one company, Yamaha would be
the best all-around, with B&H a fine alternative. After cornet and trombone,
Bach is very weak.
After all that is said, there is tremendous variability caused by mouthpiece
choice!
Herb Roselle
NJ