Re: Watch viruses

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Edy Van Asch wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Today I heard from IBM some brand new viruses have shown up.
> If anybody should receive an E-mail with subject 'JOIN THE CREW' or 'PENPAL
> GREETING', don't open it. If you do, it destroys everything on your hard disk.
> The last mail contains a virus called 'Trojan horse', the first has no name yet.
> The Trojan horse seems to mail itself to all addresses it can find in your
> post-offices.

Edy,

Although your concern is well placed the fact is a person can not get a
virus simply from opening an e-mail. This "JOIN THE CREW" and "PENPAL
GREETING" hoax runs along the lines of the "GOOD TIMES" scam a while back.
The perpetrators are simply trying to scare people who are legitamately
concerned about their computer systems.

It should be noted that opening a file attached to an e-mail CAN give you
a virus, but that is a different situation than what Edy's warning is for.

Matt LaFontaine
The All Star Brass and Perucssion Solo Euphonium