Re: New Insruments - Advice required

MentorH@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 97-11-28 03:07:59 EST, Herb Roselle wrote:
>
> I'm an American instrument dealer who plays in a brass band in NJ. Our
> experience has been so variable that any advice must simply be opinion, no
> matter from who. Let me tell you what my customers and band members say. ( in
> score order)
> (snip)
> The Bb cornet players lean toward Bach, although the sound may be too bright
> for British tastes.
> (snip)
> Flugel - Yamaha
> Alto (tenor) Horn - B&H and Yamaha
> (snip)

First off, Herb is being *far* too modest here. "Plays in a brass band
in NJ," he says!! Herb *founded* the band (in 1984) and generally runs
the show. Whattaguy.

Anyway, I have to add my $0.02 on flugels. I didn't like the
Yamaha at all - too bright. I really like my Getzen Eterna, even though
I've always had a problem with a sticky first valve. Maybe this
brightness thing is an American preference, same as with the Bach
cornets. (I'm an expatriate Brit myself)

--
Bill Buffam
West Chester, PA

-->> Volo ergo sum <<---