Re: Silly questions, but.. from Japan.

Kiyoko Asked (and they weren't silly questions):

>We don't have any competitions in Japan, so we don't know
>about systems(?) about competitions.

I'll try to tell you a bit about the system in the UK

It's a bit complicated so I'll deal with the National Championships first.
These are held every September and October and bands compete in one of five
section - Championship, First, Second, Third and Fourth (with Championship
obviously reaching the highest standards).  Bands qualify to compete in the
National Finals be competing in their own Area (or more correctly) Regional
Championships in February and March of the same year.

The highest placed two bands in the Regional Championships qualify for the
National Finals.  The highest placed band in the National Finals qualifies
to compete in the European Championships representing Great Britain held in
May the following year.  But is gets more complicated because Scotland and
Wales qualify seperately (at their Regional Championships) for the European
and (I think) English bands qualify at a seperate contest altogether called
the All England Masters.

Bands are graded into sections depending on their performance at the
Regional and National Championships over (I think) the previous three years.
But they can also be graded locally by their regional association (so a band
could be nationally graded as section three but locally graded as section 2)
as far as I know.

The National Championships are not the only contests though, a number of
well known other contests such as the Masters (mentioned above) and the
British Open.  Some of these contests are by invitation only, others have
qualifying preliminary contests and some just invite entries from any band
that wants to compete.

I hope this answers some of your questions and will be pleased for anyone
else from the list to correct anything I have got wrong or not written
clearly enough.
Peter Denton - Point of Ayr Band (N. Wales) and other interests

These are my own comments - not those of my band or any other organisation I
may be seen to represent!