Re: Brit. Open. Birmingham

>Is this the Norm Harris that has a professional card in Australia's Brass
>Band world who lists
>Adjudicator, coach, tutor, performer, conductor as part of his C.V.
>What about cynic?
>
>Does your hand shake when you get your cheque at the end of the contest or
>do you donate it to charity?.
>
>How with your obvious dislike of contests could you be a member of the
>M.A.B chooseing the music for same?.

Hi Ron,

It might have been a good idea to establish which "Norm" before
launching your rockets! (even if you are on target!)

Since when do experienced musicians with, hopefully, a love of Brass
Bands and music making (which contest organisers need for their own
credibility and hence at least pay their expenses) have to condone contests?
I suspect many question their relevance on musical grounds.
The standard of playing in top bands is now so good that the
adjudicators job is incredibly difficult to say the least!
(With the top bands it could be said to be purely subjective at best).

As to cynicism, with all those years of study and experience (try
getting the equivalent in commerce for the money! In fact try getting
a plumber for the money! Given the hours and conditions).......

...Would you do it?     (stupid question...probably)

Cheers, Pete.

Email: hession@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Newport, South Wales. U.K.