Re: Brit. Open. Birmingham

To Ron Grice: Comments below

> >Hi Edward,
> > You could go along and just enjoy the music making and make no judgements
> > whatsoever.
> > Then again you could go and make critical comments about everything
> that's
> > played, listen only for wrong notes and at the end of the day proclaim
> that the
> > adjudicator(s) got it wrong, even though you may not be aware of the
> criteria
> > and make your judgements without the music score(s). LOL
> > Your choice. : )
> >
> > Norm
>
> Is this the Norm Harris that has a professional card in Australia's Brass
> Band world who lists
> Adjudicator, coach, tutor, performer, conductor as part of his C.V.
> What about cynic?

YEP! You betcha! And for good reason. Sorry if i've hit a raw nerve with you
Ron, but to deny that adjudicator abuse/ questioning does not go on is
blinkered. Do you know the reason Ken MacDonald resigned as an adjudicator?
When some people question your informed opinion/ judgement based on "they
played  more wrong notes than us" or some other asinine pre-emtive criteria,
you tend to become cynical. Each and every adjudicator/ assessor has his or her
own criteria for assessment.

> Does your hand shake when you get your cheque at the end of the contest or
> do you donate it to charity?.

Ron, the amount of money paid to adjudicators is hardly worth worrying about.
It's not about money for me. I'm near retirement after a very successful
professional career in music and i'm endeavouring to put back into community
bands (and not just brass) a  little of what i've gleaned after 35 years of
playing professionally. No, not on weekends, i mean living off the business.

> How with your obvious dislike of contests could you be a member of the
> M.A.B chooseing the music for same?.

I believe there has to be, and is, more to community music than
contests.I am no longer a member of the MAB. I resigned some 3 years ago after
many years
diligent service.

> Also, with your apparent negative attitude to Brass Banding ,why do you
> have anything to do with the B.B.movement here in Australia.

That's your perception and opinion, and you're entitled to it. Like so many
professional brass players in this country, i too started in a brass band. To
sit by and condone some of the business practices (or lack of them) in the band
movement is folly. Change is needed, and the sooner the better.

If you aren't the said person in the magazine then my apologies to the

> real Norm Harris.

No apology needed, i am the 'guilty' party

> For the benefit of our overseas friends we have some real positive people
> here in Aus.

Most of them, but let's not be so precious that we can't deal with some reality

> Go and enjoy the contest Ed as I have done on many occasions.
>
> My choice for obvious reasons is Y.B.S.     Have a great day.
>
> Ron.

Ron, let me buy you a wine/ beer/ tea/ coffee/ soft drink at Easter. The
written word is slow and too literal (no pun intended) and lacks the passion of
speech and it's attendant inflections. The LOL at the end of my note to Ed
means Laughs Out Loud.
BTW, check the name of the magazine you referred to. It's not exclusive. ; )
Norm