RE: SCABA News

Any Wooler wrote:

>Following on from the recent decision by 2 associations to withdraw from=

>the British Federation of Brass Bands, the SCABA membership has also vot=
ed
>to remain out of that association - we came out a couple of years ago
>subject to a review which this recent vote completes.

Peter responed
  >  I find this particularly sad, if understandable, since the Federatio=
  > (together with the Brass Band Heritage Trust) have just appointed a
full
  > time Development Officer with a specific remit of developing new

  > services for members...

Whilst the federation may have just appointed a development officer, and
wish him well in the role, it's not the first time they have done so and
past history has shown a lack of ability to deliver anything meaningful t=
grass roots bandsmen. Previous "successes" (as defined by them) of the
federation have included

The Directory of Brass Bands - the last time this was up to date , West H=
am
United were winning trophies!

Representing bands in Europe - who gives a damn about that except the eli=
te
few that compete in Europe?

The Registry - as someone who believes that we could do ourselves a favou=
by re-engineering the whole registration process (and reduce the cost) I
am
not impressed by the fact that the federation are running it. call me a
cynic but if it didn't make approx =A310,000 profit per annum, would anyo=
ne
want it at all?

In a similar vein, I've heard their general secretary talking about a
Federation backed insurance scheme - not because they want to give member=
a cheaper rate but because of the commission earning potential of such
schemes. By all means negotiate special rates for members (most other
organisation do this for their members) but then leave it to those that
understand that business.

SCABA has been "out" for nearly 3 years and in that time, I for one have
seen nothing to justify a change to that position - of course, any member=

bands who feel strongly enough can join as individual bands if they wish.=

One also has to remember, it's not just SWBBA, SCABA and Oxford we're
talking about here, there are other associations who have never been in a=
all so if you added up the number of bands actually in the federation, I'=
be very surprised if it came to even 50%.

If the new development officer actually delivers services that bands need=
,
then you'll soon see associations starting to return to the fold.
Experience tells another story though. IMHO, the BFBB lost the plot when
they lost Ken Dennison whom many of us in SCABA thought would really make=
difference.

Andy Wooler, Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass, PRO SCABA
MD "The Classic Dance Band", Trumpet "Sussex Symphony Orchestra"
awooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home),
andy.wooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (work)
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/awooler