RE: First City Brass in Champ

>Most off the bands that will be affected have at to work hard over the
>years to get there status and had to go through the procedures that the
>area contest rules state. promotion or relegation by contest results.

How about the 30 -40 4th section bands we have in the south then? a lot
stopped contesting at the nationals because it's so difficult to get out
of
that section with so many in it - would it be right to put a band such as=

First City Brass in with them?

>These are the question that have arise and would like to be answered

1. have all the registration cards been vetted to make sure they have bee=
playing in championship bands before they sign up for this band.

A full list of the persons concerned was supplied - the regional committe=
bewtween them are well aware of these individuals.

>2. How can you grade a band when you have not herd them play. they >shou=
ld
be audition  on last years championship test piece, and a own > >choice
test piece, adjudicated by last years area     adjudicator. The cost > to=

be met by the band.

Whilst there is a lot of merit in the idea of auditioning bands in this
situation, there is no provision in the rules to allow it. Secondly,
there's insufficient time inbetween the closing date and the contest date=

to do this.
>3. also scutinise the set up of the band. ie.how its going to be run, is=

it
>financially sound, What is     the constitutional aim of the band.

There is no provision in the rules to do that and it has nothing to do wi=
th
any contest promotor. If we excluded every band with financial dificultie=
and those who were being run in a way we didn't like (who the devil shoul=
be able to judge that anyway!) we'd not have a lot of bands competing!

>This response is written by Evan Howells as a private individual and
 >does not  represent the views of the London & Southern Counties >Region=
al
Committee.

Glad to know that - but you're not a member of that committee anyway!
The committee made a brave decision and are fully behind any decision the=
make on a majority basis - lets make it clear to all readers that this me=
mo
is not from someone on the regional committee

>But speaking up for the hard working band members who belong to a >band
that enjoys there banding and take the rough with the smooth and
 > on those bands who are likely to be relegated or promoted as a result
of
>putting a band in
>a section that they have not earn the right to be in the championship or=

>the first section.

The association representatives on the regional committee are all bandsme=
themselves in bands that exhibit the same characteristics as mentioned
above.
Don't be fooled into thinking that they are different to the rest of you,=

they had a hard decision to make and were brave enough to make the one th=
ey
thought was the right one.

>Stick your name on the wall and be counted.
>Evan Howells.

I think you can say I've at least done that!

I have now discussed this with the regional secretary - there is an NCC
meeting next week and I shall be passing on comments from the emails post=
ed
so far to him for discussion at that the NCC. Don't expect quick changes
though!

This was one of those decisions that would have been wrong in someones ey=
es
whichever section we had placed them in.

If any band in the London Region has a problem with this, they should rai=
se
it with their association - get involved with you association, volunteer
represent them on the Regional Commitee, do somthing about it!
But of course, people don't do they - we at SCABA are currently running o=
ne
rep short on that committee, another local association nearly folded a
couple of years ago due to lack of support from its membership. If bands
are not prepared to get involved, they must learn to trust those hard
working individuals who put in lots of effort for little reward to
represent them as best they can.

Andy Wooler
Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass, PRO, SCABA
MD "The Classic Dance Band", Trumpet "Sussex Symphony Orchestra"
awooler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (home)  gbsalaw8@xxxxxxxxxxx