Re: Rotary valve flugels: any opinions?

Guy Clark wrote:

> Hi, everybody!
>
> Does anybody have any opinions regarding the use of rotary valve flugels in
> Brass Bands?
>
> I have long been an advocate of rotary trumpets in the USA, and MAY play
> flugel with my old brass band in an upcoming show ( I was principal cornet
> before I moved out of state).  I have played a few and liked them, and have
> a lead on a Miraphone flugel for a good price.
>
> I'm eagerly awaiting some advice and opinion!
>
> Thanx!!
>
> Guy Clark
> guyclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> gclark@xxxxxxxxx

wind/concert bands play rotary valve flugel horns, and although I don't
know a great deal about the playing characteristics, they would be freer
blowing and more responsive than the piston valve type. I would advise
caution if you are going to use one in a brass band, mainly from the
point of view of blending the sound. If this is the sound you require,
then go for it!
I would imagine there are many manufacturers in Germany, but check out
(in particular) Meinl-Weston (called Melton in Europe), Scherzer, and
Thein 3 or 4 valve. Thein instruments have by far the best build quality
I have ever experienced, but if you want one of these, sell your house!
:)

hope this helps.

Cheers,
Adrian J. Raven