Intro and Repiano Cornet - Etymology Please

Hi everyone,

Just to introduce myself ....

I've recently returned to my original love ... music .... after some 40
plus years doing other things and being involved in music on a part time
basis.

Originally learned to play in Salvation Army, had the good fortune to
play with Montreal Citadel under J.N Audoire many years ago, had a
number of great mentors including Morley Calvert.

Since then I've studied on and off over the years, and this past year,
being now in the prime of my life, returned to Carleton University as a
part time student to study composition.  I've arranged and played (not
much in the last 10 years) in jazz and concert band genres. Now, I want
to focus on arranging and composing for brass band.  A return to an old,
and deep love, I guess.

Anyway, here I am.

I say a post from Ken Westgate
Bass Trombone, Ellesborough Silver Band (near Aylesbury)
3rd (or 2nd or 4th) Trombone, KC Big Band

asking about Repiano Cornet ... I KNOW he'll get lots of responses from
knowledgable people ... but I have to add my 2 cents(Canadian) worth ...

>Does anyone know what the Repiano Cornet name means, and where it comes
>from?

In Dennis Wright's book Scoring for Brass Band page 27 he says ..
"repiano, a distorted form of ripeno 'supplementary'" .... hope this
helps, Ken

Lloyd Hiscock