Re: Intro and Repiano Cornet - Etymology Please

Lloyd_Hiscock wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Just to introduce myself ....
>
> I've recently returned to my original love ... music .... after some 40
> plus years doing other things and being involved in music on a part time
> basis.
>
> Originally learned to play in Salvation Army, had the good fortune to
> play with Montreal Citadel under J.N Audoire many years ago, had a
> number of great mentors including Morley Calvert.

Hi Lloyd:
I visited Montreal Citadel on numerous occasions in the 50's and 60's
and played with the band at times.
The old Audoire Band was the wildest SA band I have ever come across
especially for an innocent young kid in his early 20's.

> Since then I've studied on and off over the years, and this past year,
> being now in the prime of my life, returned to Carleton University as a
> part time student to study composition.  I've arranged and played (not
> much in the last 10 years) in jazz and concert band genres. Now, I want
> to focus on arranging and composing for brass band.  A return to an old,
> and deep love, I guess.

Who are you playing with in Ottawa?

> Anyway, here I am.
>
> I say a post from Ken Westgate
> Bass Trombone, Ellesborough Silver Band (near Aylesbury)
> 3rd (or 2nd or 4th) Trombone, KC Big Band
>
> asking about Repiano Cornet ... I KNOW he'll get lots of responses from
> knowledgable people ... but I have to add my 2 cents(Canadian) worth ...
>
> >Does anyone know what the Repiano Cornet name means, and where it comes
> >from?
>
> In Dennis Wright's book Scoring for Brass Band page 27 he says ..
> "repiano, a distorted form of ripeno 'supplementary'" .... hope this
> helps, Ken

I conducted an SA band for 11 years and am now playing and doing the odd
rehearsal with Weston and gave yet to see any need for the repiano
cornet as a part of the ensemble. As a matter of interest the US Army
Brass BAnd last time I heard them sat their rep on the end of the back
row with the sop on 2nd chair. Got the sop more in the blend according
to their conductor. Graham Young our sop at Weston did not think much of
the idea but it seems to me to be interesting.
Regards, Dave.