Re: Adjudication correct?

Several months ago I posted the opinion that no matter who the adjudicator
annoints, the rest will be disatisfied in one way or another. The disgruntled Kris
Leech has lambasted the adjudicator on mere supposition, i.e. the criticism lacks
substantiation. We're all experts after the fact, especially when the decision
doesn't go our way. This is not the first time these sort of comments have
appeared here. Really, why the hell do you bother to go to contests if you aren't
going to abide by the umpires decision.    I've inserted other comments in your
text Kris.

Krismleech wrote:

> James Scott adjudicated the section at Nottingham, and it may seem that his
> views, and resulting allocation of points, were very narrow minded.

Prove it.

> Upon receiving our results (which coincidentally were not very pleasing, but I
> have
> convinced myself I would claim an unfair result even if we had won) we were/I
> was dismayed and fairly disgusted to learn that the only factor that Mr. Scott
> was interested in was the quality and interpretation of the Allegretto
> Grazioso movement, primarily featuring a beautiful horn duet. The rest of the
> piece was apparently discarded in his eyes, and this, in my opinion, is a
> musical blasphemy.

You have not substantiated your charge and so your words are libelous. No
adjudicator would be so stupid as to base points allocation JUST on one section of
an entire work.

> The whole piece, no matter what piece you take as an example, is supposed to
> tell a story: a musical tale;

Not so, suggest you study up on this. Rash generalisation on your part. Pray tell,
just what story does the Bach 3rd Prelude from The Well Tempered Clavier tell? Or
the Mozart 21st Symphony.

> and taking one part disjointed from the other movements is ruining this concept.
>
> May I say that one of the top four bands played the Andante con espress
> (Cornet solo movement) with absolutely no feeling or emotion whatsoever, and
> any 'musical' listener I spoke to

Then those you spoke to who didn't agree with YOU are NON musical?

> agreed that this, and their similar treatment of the majority of the piece,
> should have gained them a lowly position. Am I wrong or is technical quality
> more important nowadays than a musical quality?

No, you're not neccessarily wrong on 'your musical preference', but you are wrong
to assume the adjudicator is not musical and to question his points allocation.
Some adjudicators would still rather hear blistering technique than a lovely
ballad played with much emotion. See, now i'm being subjective.

> Also, I found it interesting that Langley Band changed their conductor at the
> last minute, resulting in their usual conductor, who is also a cracking horn
> player, sitting in the horn seat. Was this because they got word of James
> Scott's judging criteria?    :)

So what.

> Alan Hope, adjudicator of the 2nd Section, said that he was hoping to hear a
> story told throughout the piece of Culloden Moor, and the winning band did
> this. Surely this is a much more appropriate way to judge a contest than that
> which James chose. Obviously adjudication will always be partly down to
> personal interpretation, but if you don't even listen to 5/6ths of the piece
> then you cannot even begin to judge it fairly.

All adjudication is down to personal opinion based on education, experience,
exposure to many varied forms and styles and a preferences based on personal/
emotional experiences. Many other factors also influence the sum of the whole.

> Any comments, or am I just being a sore loser? Sorry, I don't mean to be, but
> it gets right on my tits when this apparently mindless judging occurs

Now it's mindless is it. Just hope that James Scott doesn't get hold of your
uninformed diatribe.  Become an adjudicator, have a few bands hang s--t on you and
tell you that you don't know s--t from clay and perhaps you'll appreciate what
these people have to endure on the odd occassion. They are hired to provide a
service. If you don't like the service, tell your banding organisation and have it
rectified for next time. Don't whinge to the world about it.At the end of the day
it is only one persons opinion based on that performance on that day. Now that's a
fact.

> Kris Leech, Shirley Band, Birmingham, UK.

Norm Harris