Re: Adjudication correct?

> ... However,
> i take the view that music is an art form and should be appreciated as such
> - i.e. don't go into it with preconceived ideas, accept what you hear as an
> interpretation in it's own right and then judge it as such.
> IMHO, our version of that movement had a hell of a lot of musicality in it
> - we were running it around crotchet =3D 103, well below the minimum 116 mark
> on the score - but for us it worked!

In the case of marks added by an editor (often the case with very old music
say baroque or renaissance (sp?)) you can happily ignore them all, also true
in an arrangement. In the case of a composition the rules depend on the
composer. For Wagner you must adhere precisely to all marks on the score, for
Eric Ball, who I believe said words to the effect "I've finished writing the
notes now it's up to you to turn it into music", you should use the marks as a
guideline only.

> Andy Wooler, Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Conductor.
njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx nhorne@xxxxxx http://www.smsltd.demon.co.uk/music.htm