Re: Adjudication correct?

This is the problem with making contesting the centre of the universe.
Obviously adjudicators have to have some idea of how the music should go
and something to judge against. Why hold this against them?
In 1994 Horowitz made a major point about the importance of very subtle
tempo chamnges in the test piece and IMHO, BNFL got savaged in the
marking because they pretty much ignored the markings. A wonderful and
exciting performance was not even in the top 6 and Blsck Dyke won for a
much inferior job but faithful tempos.
But that's contesting. Brass bands need to forget contests and get on
with music. A way too much energy goes into writing music never heard
again in order to test players. Has resulted in great playing standards
for what are still more or less amateurs but its time to move on.
Just my opinion.
Dave Buckley.