RE: Midlands Area

Hi Tim,

Sorry I can't really give you impartial views because we received such a
poor result. We felt that we had played alot better than 11th. In fact a
lot of impartial people I spoke to had us at about the mid way mark.

It really did seem to me that James Scott took quite a lot of time
getting the top few places sorted out I'm not convinced that he was that
bothered about the rest. The remarks that we had didn't really tell us
anything that we had done wrong, we as a band didn't gain anything
whatsoever. Alot of our band said that they would really like to have
sat down afterwards with the adjudicator afterwards just to find out
what it was he was looking for - this wasn't so they could tear him limb
from limb but just to ask some questions.

I didn't personally hear that many bands but from what I hear Desford
probably deserved to win, but then again I suppose if you've got enough
money you can buy the band in that you want - but thats another topic
isn't it.

>From the First section point of view, I heard quite a few of the bands
and in the case of the top two bands I agreed with the result, I didn't
hear 3rd place but did 4th - they didn't stick in my mind as being
particularily good. One performance I did enjoy that didn't get a result
was Newsteads and also Nottingham City transports.

I must admit that with adjudication I would like to see playin correct
notes, rythms in tune together etc. coming first. I don't think you
should win a contest just because you're conductor has a good
interpretation, but if two similar performances happen then it must
surely be the case that the more musical one should win - this is when
personal taste will come more into play. In my experience usually the
bands that get the first part usually also have alot of the musical side
as well.

Cheers
Phil