Re: Wooden mouthpieces

>Hi,
>
>I saw a wooden mouthpiece for the first time today.  Does anyone on the list
>use one?  Maybe they'd like to tell us about it?  What are the advantages?
>
>Nigel Wears

I have tried wooden mouthpieces and wood say they have two major
attributes over and above the usual metal variety.

Firstly, they don't get cold when playing outside in winter. This is an
advantage but one has to ask if it is worth the cost unless you spend
lots of time outside.

Secondly, the wood produces a different tone-colour, with a reduction in
the high overtones.

Personally, I would not use this as an everyday mouthpiece. If you can
justify the cost though, I would say that one would be a useful tool to
have at your disposal.

Hope this helps
--
David Cooper