RE: Adjudication correct?

As it happens, the Hudds Uni band had a rehersal on Purcell last Thursday
morning with a student who is taking us on it at a concert for his final
conducting assessment.  His rehersal technique was excellent, but PMcC (our
regular conductor)  really tried his patients, constantly 'chiming' in with
his comments.  One of which refered to the Horn Passage.  Marked 116 (I
think) he said that was a bare minimum tempo and he would take it much
quicker if he was conducting.

I don't know if he is due to judge any other 1st sections, if he is and your
band is in it, BEWARE!!

Adjudicators;  what approach do you take?
I used to conduct a 4th Section WoE band.  At the area 2 years ago we had
Dennis Masters in the box (Mexican Fiesta).  All my 'learned' friends said
'he likes things loud', I was advised to blast the FF's, I wasn't overly
convinced about asking a 4th section band to do this (intonation never being
a strong point!!) but they did.  They got a good result and looking at his
remarks afterwards, for the 1st movement, at the point of the first full FF
of the piece, he'd written "Quality band sound, well done!"  (It sounded
dreadful, and I knew it).

Why DO we put ourselves 'in the firing line' like it?

Adrian D on the Double B
(Carlton Main Frickley Colliery Band)